Skip to main content

A Big Ol' Thank You - 2017 Best Bits


It's time for the annual 'Thank You Post'. The one time my blunt, no-nonsense front melts away, I become a massive softie and take the time to thank everyone who has supported me and my writing over the past year.

As many of you know, I had a break from writing earlier in the year. There were a variety of reasons behind the break, but the majority of them stem from an identity/existential crisis after leaving home and starting university in a new city.

However, after a bad breakup and half a bottle of wine I decided that I wanted to dedicate the bulk of my spare time into my writing and this blog - starting with a constructive review of Elliot Duke's 'I Could do This Shit All Night'.

Thanks to my degree and wonderful lecturers, I have developed my journalistic and technical knowledge which has allowed me to give the blog a makeover and given me the confidence to develop my own individual writing style (ruffling a few feathers on the way).

And it appears to have paid off. I've made some great contacts in Leeds and Yorkshire - many of which I would now call friends. I've seen, reviewed and interviewed some fantastic bands and artists.

I'm flattered by how many people get in touch wanting pieces  and I'm so sorry that I can't give every single one of you the time and effort you deserve.

Consequently the highlights of the year all fall within autumn and winter. It's been a ridiculously speedy three months full of great music, memories and a fair few G&T's.

Kazoopa Festival

I had the pleasure and privilege of getting to cover Kazoopa Festival in November. As well as making my videography debut, I had an absolute blast running from venue to venue seeing countless bands and enjoying a boogie with the gorgeous Alethea Shephard.




Kasabian  


Hands down the best live show I have ever seen. I had high expectations for the gig, but they were smashed into oblivion. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.




Hit 100,000 views

This one speaks for itself really. It's never been about the numbers, but the fact that my blog has been clicked on 100,000 times is just mental. I'm just a self-confessed quirky girl combining her love of music and writing - the fact that people are interested in what I'm saying is so humbling.


Joining the Culture Vulture and Indie Central Music Team

It's an honour to be able to contribute to these two brilliant websites. Culture Vulture provides writers like me with an abundance of amazing opportunities and I'm loving being part of such a vibrant and passionate team at Indie Central Music.

Being the social media executive for a Music:Leeds conference

I was fortunate enough to be picked to be the social media executive for the latest Music:Leeds conference, which was such a fantastic and interesting experience. Big thank you to Whiskas and the rest of the team for your support and top class banter.

It was an amazing event and I'm so grateful to have witnessed so many fascinating speeches from an array of inspirational people. The day opened my eyes to areas of the music industry I hadn't even thought about, never mind knew anything about. I'd highly recommend getting involved with Music:Leeds to anyone whose interested or part of the Leeds' music scene.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank the people who have made this year really memorable and inspire me to grow as a writer.

Thank you to all the bands and artists I've had the pleasure to write about. Thank you for creating some banging tunes and for sharing my work - I wouldn't be here without you. And thank you to everyone who has read and shared my work, you're all gems.

Thank you to my fellow content creators who have created a warm community of creatives, in particular Arianne Interviews, Leeds Gigs, Nathan Douthwaite, Mica Rae, Alethea ShephardFaith Gledhill and Nathan Robinson .

Thank you to Russell Poad, who was the first person who believed in my writing.  You have influenced and improved my writing more than any other person. I am forever grateful for gaining so much knowledge and experience from such a brilliant editor.

I'd like to thank Mick and Chantel at Double Denim Live - who both work relentlessly to make the independent music scene truly special.

A big thanks Neil and Phil at Culture Vulture.  They've taught me the importance of being unapologetically genuine in my writing.

However, the biggest thank you goes out to the Journalism department at Leeds Beckett University, in particular: Karl Hodge, Martina Topic, Barbara Henderson, Chian Gatewood and John Hawker. Thank you for putting up with my eccentricities, for giving me so much creative freedom with my writing and my education and the constant support and encouragement in all my endeavors.

2017 has had its ups and downs, but it's ending on a monumental high. I've got a few really exciting projects and collaborations coming up in the new year, so watch this space.

2018 - let's have ya. 



FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

demos or my nightmare? - CULT LUST demo review

Indie gigs have changed. Gone are the days when you danced or bopped along to the likes of Swim Deep  or Peace , indie kids want to mosh. Hence the birth of Cult Lust,  a ferocious fusion of fuzzy guitar and relentless percussion,that creates a heavy lo-fi sound. It's called skuz-pop - don't worry, I had to do google it too! Just imagine a band who's primary concern is making loud, gritty, grungy tunes. Despite only forming a few weeks ago, the band have already produced a two track demo; promoted via their active and bountiful social networking platforms. Both tracks are fairly lengthy (approx 10 mins combined), meaning the group are already a third of the way to having a live set under their belt. It's a really candid and raw recording, giving you insight into their practice sessions. This is best represented by the second track 'headf*ck' being opened by their front man saying "anyway, here's wonderwall" before exploding asking his fellow

Middlesbrough Pub Bans Female Fronted Bands

Middlesbrough pub and rock music venue; Doctor Brown's ; has caused outrage after implementing a ban on female fronted bands, stating their customers believe that women can't sing rock music well. The story gained national attention after The Northern Echo published a damning article on the situation.  Consequently, residents and musicians have started to boycott the venue. I contacted Doctor Brown's to hear their side of the story. Had the situation been blown out of proportion on social media, or were outdated, sexist attitudes being called out? Paula Rees, the pub's manager cited that the Northern Echo had lied and "twisted her words" and she was eager to talk to me to "set the record straight". She said that was more than happy to talk, asking me to ring up later when the pub was a little quieter. Rees also confessed that she wasn't a "big rock fan" and was just going with what her customers wanted, stating that they had