Skip to main content

Interview with Lee Allcock from NE VOLUME



I caught up with Lee Allcock, editor of  NE Volume, a music local magazine that celebrates everything the North East has to offer.

Tell us about yourself and the story behind NE Volume?
My idea actually began back in college, where I basically wanted to go to gigs, review them, and get paid for it – I thought, at 16, that that would be the dream job.
I then went on to study Journalism at Teesside University, and I worked voluntarily at another North East Music Magazine where I noticed they were covering the Newcastle area primarily. Whilst working for that magazine, I felt that bands, venues and music-related businesses in Teesside and the surrounding areas weren’t getting the recognition they deserved. So my idea basically came about because I wanted to help those involved in the music scene in this area – and the North East as a whole – to gain recognition for their hard work.
Which artists and/or experiences fuelled your love of music and which albums do you think everyone should listen to before they die?
From a young age (around 10) I was into Oasis and the whole Brit Pop thing (I was only 5 when Oasis released their first album so I didn’t actually discover them till a bit later down the line). My dad was a Mod when he was younger too, so I was brought up on the likes of the Jam, the Who etc. But my first ever Leeds Festival truly fuelled my passion for music, and live music in particular. Seeing The Futureheads, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, The Subways etc on a huge stage for the first time was just incredible, and I’ll never forget that weekend.
And albums you should listen to before you die include:
Oasis – Definitely Maybe
The Jam  - All Mod Cons
The Subways – Young For Eternity
The Libertines – Up the Bracket
Young Rebel Set – Curse Our Love
The Futureheads – Self-Titled Debut Album
There’s too many to name!

What's been your favourite piece to work on? What's the most challenging part of running the publication?
My favourite piece to work on so far has to be reviewing and previewing Stockton Calling 2015. I have to say, the festival is one of the highlights of the music calendar in not only Teesside, but the North East. I didn’t make it this year due to illness, and I was absolutely devastated! The whole Teesside and North East community comes together for the love of music for one full day, and the atmosphere is always fantastic.
And the most challenging part of running the publication is that my mind never switches off. It’s definitely not a 9-5 job (I work on average around 60 hours a week - if not more), but I 100% wouldn’t want to do anything else!



NE Volume has been so successful this past year, interviewing bands like Wolf Alice and Cage the Elephant and covering festivals such as Stockton Calling, Leeds Festival and more. What advice would you give to writers, musicians and entrepreneurs?
Don’t be afraid to dream! If you’re passionate about something and you really strive for it, you’ll get it. And also, for musicians in particular, don’t be afraid to get in touch with publications such as ourselves when you’re releasing new material or want to talk about something interesting; as it’ll usually turn out that we’re interested in hearing about it too!

So NE Volume is approaching its first birthday, are there any celebrations on the horizon?
Definitely! We’re hosting a charity event in aid of Cancer Research UK on the 9th of June at the Westgarth Social Club in Middlesbrough. The event will feature Hartlepool industrial folk band, The Jar Family, Teesside epic, indie, orchestral, experimental, rock band Abel Raise The Cain and opening the night is one of Miles Kane's favourite acts, Middlesbrough rock 'n' roll band, Alistair James. Tickets are priced at £6.00 in advance from seetickets.com or it’s £8.00 OTD.
We’re also hosting a three day festival in Darlington in July, but we haven’t announced the full details yet. However, the link to the event can be found here: 
And the reason behind me doing both events for Cancer Research UK is because my mam sadly passed away from cancer five years ago now, so I’ve ran the Great North Run a few times and raised around £6000 for Cancer Research UK. But I’ve never actually got round to putting on a gig to help raise funds, and it’s always been my aim. With our one year anniversary of NE Volume Magazine coming around, I thought it’d be great to not only celebrate what we’ve achieved this year, but also celebrate my mam’s life.



What does the future hold for NE Volume?
Hopefully we’ll just keep going, keep improving, and print out even more copies so that the music fans of the North East can keep up-to-date with what’s happening across the region. The magazine is already stocked in 200+ outlets (where it can be picked up for free) as well and online, but my aim is to increase that number to 250 by the end of this year.

Any final words?
I just want to say a huge thank you to every single person who’s been involved with NE Volume in any shape or form over the last year. Whether you’ve wrote some articles, took some incredible photos, advertised your business, stocked the magazine, or just read through the mag, it’s really really appreciated and I wish I could say thank you to each and every one of you individually! You’re all absolute stars.


FOLLOW NE VOLUME
http://nevolume.co.uk/
http://nevolume.co.uk/magazine
https://www.facebook.com/ne.volume/
https://twitter.com/nevolume/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEwClbYPkxc/?taken-by=nevolume_magazine


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

demos or my nightmare? - CULT LUST demo review

Indie gigs have changed. Gone are the days when you danced or bopped along to the likes of Swim Deep  or Peace , indie kids want to mosh. Hence the birth of Cult Lust,  a ferocious fusion of fuzzy guitar and relentless percussion,that creates a heavy lo-fi sound. It's called skuz-pop - don't worry, I had to do google it too! Just imagine a band who's primary concern is making loud, gritty, grungy tunes. Despite only forming a few weeks ago, the band have already produced a two track demo; promoted via their active and bountiful social networking platforms. Both tracks are fairly lengthy (approx 10 mins combined), meaning the group are already a third of the way to having a live set under their belt. It's a really candid and raw recording, giving you insight into their practice sessions. This is best represented by the second track 'headf*ck' being opened by their front man saying "anyway, here's wonderwall" before exploding asking his fellow

Quirks Behind the Music - CULT LUST's Sam and Owen

For those readers who aren't familiar with you and  your sound, tell us a little about yourself and your music? We’re Cult Lust! We’re a scuzzy garage trio from  Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, we like to think we’re loud as fuck but probably not to the point where it becomes obnoxious, which is sort of a disappointment. We use a collaboration of horrible old fuzz pedals tied to ropey old vintage guitars, topped off with clean technical riffs and a heavy driving percussion force to produce a louder than life sound. Which artists have inspired both your music and your personal tastes? Owen – I started listening to Led Zeppelin when I was seven and I started playing drums because John Bonham’s drums sounded so good to me and I just wanted to be like him instantly. I grew my hair and got my first drum kit at 7 and it’s led me to where I am today. I’ve picked up a lot from other drummers because I’m self taught so there’s probably a bit of jazz influence in my drumming too . Sam