Skip to main content

Candid Reviews - Baby Strange (supported by Gangs and The Pale White) 23/34/16 at Tynemouth SurfCafe

Sounds of an Eccentric is a product of being overwhelmed and moved by music. An impulsive moment in which I decided to share with the rest of the world how amazing a Little Comets gig was. Since then I've been able to see so many brilliant gigs and meet so many inspirational characters, some of which have become close friends. 
However my reviewing sometimes stripped me of that initial spark, that glorious feeling that urged me on to write. Having my head in a book hindered my ability to connect with the band and the overall ambiance. When I reviewed Cage the Elephant I was too focused on writing down notes in order to write the best possible review that I didn't really experience the gig. It felt so impersonal.
So, ladies and gentlemen, I shall be putting down my notebook and pen (and back up pens) and will be doing a series called 'Candid Reviews'. Fueled  by memory power and 2-4 pints of ale. 
And on that convoluted note - let's get to what actually matters. The gig.



Glaswegian band Baby Strange's return to the Tynemouth Surf Cafe has been an highly anticipated event.  After being bestowed with the 'sold out' status months ago, and an excited armada of denim and funky (nana's curtains-esque) shirts awaited outside the bijoux venue.
Kicking the night off was fellow Glaswegian band Gangs. Initially they sounded rather similar to the headliner, but with more pedal work and much stronger accents. However as the set progressed, they went from strength to strength, creating a a really rich, rock sound. Their songs were incredibly catchy and full bodied and set the bar high for the rest of the night. Considering the group have only been gigging since the start of this month, their live performance was incredibly impressive and I can't wait to see more from them. I've had their latest single 'Knock the Door' stuck in my head all day, which if I'm being honest, is rather enjoyable. 
I became rather well acquainted with the band after the drummer spilled half a pint down my shirt and the guitarist lubricated my drink with a whiskey based drink. However the lads and their tour manager were really lovely and good crack, despite making me smell like I'd fell tits over arse in a brewery.




Next up was the dynamic The Pale White (formerly Sun Dance). The group have been labelled as 'the ones to watch' (or more accurately: 'the ones to see - before they're selling out stadiums').  For those of you that haven't had the privilege of listening to The Pale White, envisage an Arctic Monkeys who already knew how to play their instruments, with a dash of suaveness and big beefy instrumentals.They're the quintessential indie-rock group, and they keep getting better each with performance. Despite my favourite track of their's being scrapped, the set was flawless.The whole room was dancing and singing along, with the walls shaking during their stand out track 'Reaction'. 


After amiably chatting to fans, Baby Strange finally took to the stage, filling the room with their glorious post-indie sound. Baby Strange combine bold riffs and punchy beats to in songs like 'Friends' and 'VVV' to get crowds moving. However, songs like 'California Sun' are more sincere; making you want to hold someone dear to you; whilst still maintaining an upbeat vibe and big sound. They're the cross-section of all the engaging elements of indie music and will appeal and continue to please vast and varied audiences.
During Baby Strange's set, front man Johnny Madden became aware of some of the audience members discomfort, caused by the slightly wilder/inconsiderate antics in the crowd. He quickly diffused the situation  by stopping the music and saying;" Now now boys and girls. This is a Baby Strange gig, not a f**king Oasis gig". 
It's nights like this that made me fall in love with the Independent and the Newcastle music scene. I saw loads of mates I haven't seen in months, drank locally brewed beer in local business and listened fantastic music played by really canny lads. What more can an artsy lefty want?

SUPPORT THE ARTS 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

demos or my nightmare? - CULT LUST demo review

Indie gigs have changed. Gone are the days when you danced or bopped along to the likes of Swim Deep  or Peace , indie kids want to mosh. Hence the birth of Cult Lust,  a ferocious fusion of fuzzy guitar and relentless percussion,that creates a heavy lo-fi sound. It's called skuz-pop - don't worry, I had to do google it too! Just imagine a band who's primary concern is making loud, gritty, grungy tunes. Despite only forming a few weeks ago, the band have already produced a two track demo; promoted via their active and bountiful social networking platforms. Both tracks are fairly lengthy (approx 10 mins combined), meaning the group are already a third of the way to having a live set under their belt. It's a really candid and raw recording, giving you insight into their practice sessions. This is best represented by the second track 'headf*ck' being opened by their front man saying "anyway, here's wonderwall" before exploding asking his fellow

Quirks Behind the Music - CULT LUST's Sam and Owen

For those readers who aren't familiar with you and  your sound, tell us a little about yourself and your music? We’re Cult Lust! We’re a scuzzy garage trio from  Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, we like to think we’re loud as fuck but probably not to the point where it becomes obnoxious, which is sort of a disappointment. We use a collaboration of horrible old fuzz pedals tied to ropey old vintage guitars, topped off with clean technical riffs and a heavy driving percussion force to produce a louder than life sound. Which artists have inspired both your music and your personal tastes? Owen – I started listening to Led Zeppelin when I was seven and I started playing drums because John Bonham’s drums sounded so good to me and I just wanted to be like him instantly. I grew my hair and got my first drum kit at 7 and it’s led me to where I am today. I’ve picked up a lot from other drummers because I’m self taught so there’s probably a bit of jazz influence in my drumming too . Sam