Skip to main content

Quirks Behind the Music - Harry Smith

I caught up with the charming local singer/songwriter Harry Smith, chatting about everything from the £1 Fish bloke, to Stevie Nicks to the Newcastle music scene. 

Describe your music with one word?
Honest.

 If you had to give yourself a stage name, what would it be?
I've never really thought about a stage name, I've always just been me. I wouldn't want to be called something like 'Vance Meridian' or something because it's always seemed quite pretentious to me.

Who are your musical heroes and influences?
Stevie Nicks, Lana del Rey, Hozier, Peace. I think I'm more into like older bands and stuff. I feel like older musicians and bands have much more original ideas, especially since a lot of old tunes and riffs and stuff are being re-used... Don't get me wrong though I love seeing people putting their own spin on things, I do it sometimes hahaha!

What was the first and last gig ticket you bought?
First and last gig ticket... The first gig I went to was Busted at the Metro Radio (Arena), my mum took me and it was absolutely class; I got a scarf and everything. Amazing.
The last gig I went to was Hozier at the O2 Academy and it was absolutely unbelievable. Literally if that gig was a food it would be a cinnamon swirl, absolutely divine.

Out of all your songs, which one is your personal favourite?
Out of every song I've written, the newest one; which is called 'Things you said to me' is my favourite on the musical side because it has quite a few little technical bits to it, but at the same time that makes it a nightmare to play and sing because I'm always concentrating on just playing it right. My favourite one to play though is 'Forget your name' especially when it's with my band because those guys are legends and just make it sound massive and pretty cool so I'm pleased to have such talented guys on my side.

Name an album that summarises your personality?
I'd probably say 'Vampire Weekend' by... Well.. Vampire weekend, simply because is like the happiest album ever and I'm a massive optimist and it's a bit weird which in my head is always good crack.

Do you prefer big arena gigs or smaller, more intimate venues?
Definitely smaller venues, you can actually feel a connection to the artist rather than just being another face in the crowd. This however creates the problem where I have a bigger chance of meeting the artist and I'm the worst for panicking when I see someone even slightly famous or known. Like if I bumped into Phil Mitchell off EASTENDERS I'd be nearly crying, it's that bad!

What is your earliest memory of music?
My earliest memory of music is when I got a CD player for Christmas one year and my mum got me this class three CD box set thing called 'party animal' and it had like Whigfield 'Saturday night' on it and Eiffel 65 'Blue da ba dee'. So basically it was the greatest compilation album that has and will ever exist.

Festivals, albums or live music - pick one.
Well I've never been to a festival so I can't really judge there, but I'm one for a live performance, depending on the style of music. For example if it's something like HOZIER or Rae Morris, I'd always choose live because that's more of an experience. Whereas people like Taylor Swift or One direction would probably be album for me because their live shows wouldn't be as intimate for me I don't think

What is your opinion on the vinyl revival?
The vinyl revival is absolutely mint, there's something really nice about owning a massive bit of round plastic, it's expensive like but it's worth it with how therapeutic it is when you take the massive bit of cellophane off

Clever lyrics or killer guitar riffs?
Clever lyrics? Definitely the 'Thunder only happens when it's raining, players only love you when they're playing' bit from 'Rumours'... Because it says it like it is doesn't it?... Apart from the thunder bit because I've definitely heard thunder when it's not been raining, but The Mac can have that because it's Stevie's birthday today.
Killer guitar riffs... The beginning of 'There she goes' by The La's is absolutely amazing... Is that a riff or a hook? Or is that the same thing? I'm really not sure... Either way it's absolutely mint and I love it.

If you could join any band and play any part in it, what would you chose?
If I could join any band, it was definitely be Fleetwood Mac and I'd settle for absolutely any job, I'd braid Mick Fleetwood's hair for pennies if it meant I'd get to be that close to Christ. That's the dream. Braiding men's hair for coppers.

How important do you think image is for an artist or band to succeed?
How important do I think image is? It depends really what music scene you're on about... If you want to be mainstream you usually need to look cool/have mint crack to get big quite quickly but obviously you need to be good at what you're doing... Sometimes people get lucky though, like that £1 fish bloke, he was a pioneer.

Would you rather never sing or never play guitar again?
 I'd definitely never sing again, I just couldn't part with my beloved six string babies.

 Which local artists or bands have caught your attention?
Local bands that have caught my attention? To list a few Sun Dance, Kobadelta, Coquin Migale, Schultz. They're my favourites so far, I've always had a class time at any of their shows and they're all really really good at writing mint tunes, I think Newcastle has a lot more class bands than what you'd expect

Biggest musical achievement to date?
Biggest musical achievement to date? I'm looking forward to playing Think Tank. That's quite cool. I'm quite new to this whole thing because I've never really known how to go about gigging and stuff so to be able to play on the same stage that I've seen unreal bands is a big 10/10 for me, I'm excited.

What lies on the horizon for you?

What lies on the horizon? Well I'm hoping to record soon so that should happen hopefully sooner rather than later, but at the minute I'm just going to keep writing and gigging and basically just see what happens.


Smith will be playing with his band at Think Tank on Saturday June 27th, alongside Motion of Youth, Temple Avenue and Black Velvet. The gig is brought to you by HeartRock Live.

To see more amazing gigs and news from HeartRock follow/visit:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

demos or my nightmare? - CULT LUST demo review

Indie gigs have changed. Gone are the days when you danced or bopped along to the likes of Swim Deep  or Peace , indie kids want to mosh. Hence the birth of Cult Lust,  a ferocious fusion of fuzzy guitar and relentless percussion,that creates a heavy lo-fi sound. It's called skuz-pop - don't worry, I had to do google it too! Just imagine a band who's primary concern is making loud, gritty, grungy tunes. Despite only forming a few weeks ago, the band have already produced a two track demo; promoted via their active and bountiful social networking platforms. Both tracks are fairly lengthy (approx 10 mins combined), meaning the group are already a third of the way to having a live set under their belt. It's a really candid and raw recording, giving you insight into their practice sessions. This is best represented by the second track 'headf*ck' being opened by their front man saying "anyway, here's wonderwall" before exploding asking his fellow

Middlesbrough Pub Bans Female Fronted Bands

Middlesbrough pub and rock music venue; Doctor Brown's ; has caused outrage after implementing a ban on female fronted bands, stating their customers believe that women can't sing rock music well. The story gained national attention after The Northern Echo published a damning article on the situation.  Consequently, residents and musicians have started to boycott the venue. I contacted Doctor Brown's to hear their side of the story. Had the situation been blown out of proportion on social media, or were outdated, sexist attitudes being called out? Paula Rees, the pub's manager cited that the Northern Echo had lied and "twisted her words" and she was eager to talk to me to "set the record straight". She said that was more than happy to talk, asking me to ring up later when the pub was a little quieter. Rees also confessed that she wasn't a "big rock fan" and was just going with what her customers wanted, stating that they had