Skip to main content

Quirks Behind the Music - Cal Ruddy



For those readers not familiar with you and your music, tell us a little about yourself and your sound
I'm Cal Ruddy, a Singer/Songwriter from Liverpool. I'd describe my sound as Modern Merseybeat, I've got a very vintage vibe to my material and I take influence from a lot of different genres as I listen to a wide range of music. Rockabilly, Blues, Soul, Jazz, Punk Rock and Country bleed through into my writing process quite a bit and you can hear elements of these styles on my new EP Communication!

 Which artists and experiences have had the greatest impact on you? Both with you and your song writing?
I've got a lot of influences from all sorts of genres as I have a really vast and eclectic musical taste. Top ones for me particularly in regards to forming who I am today as a songwriter would be Richard Ashcroft (both with The Verve and his solo stuff), Edgar Jones of cult Liverpool band: The Stairs. Also, James Skelly from The Coral with the more obvious fundamental influences such as Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave and John Lennon. 
In terms of experiences? I write a lot of songs in reflection and time is a constant theme throughout a lot of my lyrics. It binds together my work to be honest! I write around the clock too so if something happens during my day or someone says something interesting I'll write it down and it'll end up in a song somewhere down the line. I'm weird like that!




 So you've just released a new E.P. What was that experience like and what was the inspiration behind it? Do you have any interesting stories from the making of it? 
'Communication' has been in the pipeline since April 2015 really! I did a rough, raw demo E.P. early last year called 'How To Rewind Life' just as a little collection of recordings to give out at gigs but it was piss-poor and didn't represent me or my sound accurately at all. 
I took myself off to a little studio in Birkenhead and spent 4 months writing and demoing tunes for a planned single/E.P. release. I wrote 15/20 songs during these sessions. 'Maria' came from jamming on an old Gibson Hollowbody from 1954 ( I think) and was a standout track for the remainder of those sessions really. I recorded over 30 takes of the song and I've still got 16 of them saved      
somewhere.
It was only in May this year I took the plunge and booked into Parr Street Studios to record a 5 Song E.P. I had a great core team for the production of this record. Chris Taylor produced it and he's done albums for The Coral and Bill Ryder-Jones and people like that. He's done work with Blossoms in the past I believe too. Amazing guy to work with, a great character. Justin Johnson played drums on the E.P. and he's known for his work on the country circuit. Simon Goulding provided bass guitar and we had Roo Walker in for lead guitar. The Daly Sisters a talented pair of twins provided harmonies on 'Breaking Your Little Heart' and 'Little Town Anywhere'. The dream team right there!



Out of all your songs do you have a favourite one? Is there one that you love playing the most or one that has a particularly strong sentiment behind it?
get very emotional when I play 'Little Town Anywhere' live. I've had people (including myself) in tears with that one. It's a song about finding yourself and being comfortable with who you are.

Name your top three albums - try to make them by three different artists and no "Greatest Hits".
Ooooh! I'd say  'Urban Hymns' by The Verve, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds -'The Boatman's Call' and Neil Young - 'Harvest'.

 Right - imagine you have missed calls from all three of those artists, saying that they love your music and want to work with you. However, you can only call one back, text one back and you have to ignore the other. Who would you call, text and ignore? 
Richard Ashcroft's getting the phone call! I'll drop a lengthy, interesting text to Nick Cave because I know he loves a good novel and I'm sure Neil Young would call me back, he's polite enough that lad.




 What advice would you give young musicians just starting out? 
Get out and gig as much as you can! I've done a couple of hundred gigs in the last couple of years and it really pays off. You learn and hone your craft that way.


Do you have a favourite venue to play at? Is there a sentimental second home to you? 
That's way too hard to decide on! I like Studio 2 and The Magnet in Liverpool but I'm helping out with and playing a lot of gigs down at Lennon's Bar. We've got a little movement going
.
 Which local artists have caught your eye recently? Who would you recommend going to see? 
My mates The Jackobins are one of the best upcoming Rock acts to go and see. They're fresh from Leeds Festival this year, I'm very proud of them. Top local lads! A band I gig a lot with called Ladies are making a great bit of noise and Jack McAllister is probably the best songwriter I have the privilege of knowing. All brilliant acts to see!



 Any final words? What's on the horizon for you and your music? 
Cal Ruddy eh? Who's he? Keep an eye on my social media there's a lot of exciting things to come very soon!

SUPPORT CAL RUDDY
COMMUNICATION E.P. IS OUT NOW AND IS AVAILABLE ON SPOTIFY AND ITUNES

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

demos or my nightmare? - CULT LUST demo review

Indie gigs have changed. Gone are the days when you danced or bopped along to the likes of Swim Deep  or Peace , indie kids want to mosh. Hence the birth of Cult Lust,  a ferocious fusion of fuzzy guitar and relentless percussion,that creates a heavy lo-fi sound. It's called skuz-pop - don't worry, I had to do google it too! Just imagine a band who's primary concern is making loud, gritty, grungy tunes. Despite only forming a few weeks ago, the band have already produced a two track demo; promoted via their active and bountiful social networking platforms. Both tracks are fairly lengthy (approx 10 mins combined), meaning the group are already a third of the way to having a live set under their belt. It's a really candid and raw recording, giving you insight into their practice sessions. This is best represented by the second track 'headf*ck' being opened by their front man saying "anyway, here's wonderwall" before exploding asking his fellow

Middlesbrough Pub Bans Female Fronted Bands

Middlesbrough pub and rock music venue; Doctor Brown's ; has caused outrage after implementing a ban on female fronted bands, stating their customers believe that women can't sing rock music well. The story gained national attention after The Northern Echo published a damning article on the situation.  Consequently, residents and musicians have started to boycott the venue. I contacted Doctor Brown's to hear their side of the story. Had the situation been blown out of proportion on social media, or were outdated, sexist attitudes being called out? Paula Rees, the pub's manager cited that the Northern Echo had lied and "twisted her words" and she was eager to talk to me to "set the record straight". She said that was more than happy to talk, asking me to ring up later when the pub was a little quieter. Rees also confessed that she wasn't a "big rock fan" and was just going with what her customers wanted, stating that they had