Skip to main content

BAND OF THE WEEK - VELVOIR


"GROOVING CYNICISM AND SOPHISTICATED FILTH"

It has been just under a year since I last saw Velvoir. I've always thought that they are fantastic local band,  but the amount they've improved in a year is just awe-worthy. They have gone from being amazing performers with songs that had great moments, to phenomenal performers with superb songs.
Their sound is fuelled by ebullient bass, intricate guitar and a ferociously enigmatic and gorgeously vulgar front woman, whose presence will leave you stunned and questioning gender, sexuality, normality and everything in between. Their music is incredibly intelligent, unapologetically authentic, beautifully bizarre and undoubtedly one of the best bands in the North East.
10/10






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

Poison - Mouses Track review

After relentless gigging, Billingham's lo-fi garage-punk duo Mouses are set to release their debut single: 'Poison'. If you haven't heard Mouses  before (firstly, where have you been for the past two years?), imagine the love child of  The Thermals, Dinosaur Jr  and Wheatus  on a generous kick of acid. The track opens by submerging you into a whirlpool of distorted guitar and fuzzy vocals, invigorating the track with a relentless energy. Despite the initially aggressive tone of the track, the infectiously catchy chorus provides it with a poppy undertone, making it incredibly upbeat and easy to dance/sing along to. I can envisage audiences belting out the lines: "I'm not breaking bones for you, I can be myself with a little bit of poison" - or at least that's what I presume Ste is singing under that heavy lo-fi disguise. If I'm perfectly honest, I'm unsure what the song is about, referencing' everything from; a 'crashing tiger...

'YOUR TRIP BEGINS NOW' - THE FROOT '67 E.P. REVIEW

'Your trip begins now' is the latest four track E.P. from Hull's finest pysche rock outfit: The Froot '67.  As the name would suggest, the group's roots are planted within dynamic 60's rock and the band have revitalised this era through their bold, gritty sound. The E.P. opens with 'Chaos Theory', a track that is fuelled by frantic and beefy lo-fi riffs, whilst Newby's vocals take a more subtle, nonchalant route. Despite being a psyche rock track, the overall sound of the song reminds me of a more reserved version of 'Gravedweller' by The Wytches. It's a very different sound to their debut album; '7 past 8'; but this grungier edge is definitely a good thing for the group. It's broadening their sound without destroying the unique vibe they've already established for themselves. Plus, it;s a really engaging opening to the E.P. and sets a raw, and somewhat brooding, ambiance for the E.P. The following track, 'I don...