Skip to main content

Old Faithfuls - Most listened to Albums

No matter how varied your music taste is, there's always a few albums to can't help but put on. So please relish in my guilty pleasures!


The Balcony - Catfish and the Bottlemen
There's something about the unromantic charm of their lyrics and overindulgent guitar solos that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Yes they're copying a lot of other people, but they're combining lots of elements that I enjoy. Consequently, they're one of my favourite bands and I cannot wait for their second album.


Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
My dad has always been an avid lover of music. I used to beg to listen to his vinyls with him when I was a kid, so that we could spend a day together away from forcing me how to learn to ride a bike. (I have never been sporty!) 'Back to Black' was one of my favourites to listen to and I've always adored Amy Winehouse's voice and blunt lyrics. If I'm ever feeling low I stick 'My Tears Dry On their Own' on and go for a power walk along the coast. Best alcohol free stress relief ever!


Let's Dance - David Bowie
'Let's Dance' was the first cassette tape I bought after an impulse buy on eBay. It's just the most gorgeous and quintessentially '80s album. The album flows wonderfully - not that we'd expect anything less from Mr B.


By the Way - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
I remember picking this album out from  my Dad's vinyl cupboard and listening to it on repeat for hours. My mam isn't overly fond of them, so she was driven half way to insanity by the end of the weekend.


Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Fun Fact:I own two copies of this on vinyl, however only side one works on both copies. Consequently, I usually borrow my Dad's perfect copy!
This legendary album soothes my soul and sends me to my happy place. Stevie Knicks has influenced my wardrobe since the age of thirteen and I have no intention in ceasing. Anybody who knows me well, will vouch for  the miraculous effect the track 'Dreams' has on my mood.


Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys
The obvious choice for every indie blogger I know! Regardless, this is my favourite era of the Arctic Monkeys. From the feroicious riffs of 'Brianstorm' and 'Teddy Picker' to the sarcastic yet oh so catchy vibe of 'Fluorescent Adolescent' this album is just a brilliant example of proper British indie-rock and was my go-to when I was 14/15.


Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
There's something about Ian Curtis that I find utterly bewitching. His lyrics are just something else and this album is just beautifully produced. The history behind it all is fascinating - if you haven't read 'Touching from a Distance' or watched 'Control' then do so ASAP!


Life is Elsewhere - Little Comets
This blog would not exist if it wasn't for Little Comets. After seeing them last March, I decided to write a review about the gig. The band shared my post on Twitter and it received five times more views than anything else I had ever written. It gave me the confidence to pursue writing and has consequently opened up a whole new world of opportunities. And this album is saturated with infectiously catchy and incredibly clever indie-pop tunes. So it's definitely worth a listen!


Transformer - Lou Reed
Do-dodo-do do do do-do-duuu. (or there abouts.....) Any way, if you don't know what I'm going on about, then you need to listen to this album right now. I don't care if you don't read the rest of this post, as long as you listen to 'Transformer', you've made me a very happy lady!


Radioactive - McFly
Bare with me on this one! This cringey pop group was the first gig I ever went to. It was back in 2008 and I was celebrating my eleventh birthday with my mum and three friends. Back in the day, McFly were the shit. In hindsight it's a naff album but it is the best of a bad bunch.


Hatful of Hollow - The Smiths
It was a really close tie between all The Smiths' albums. I love the messages behind 'Meat is Murder' and 'The Queen is Dead', but 'Hatful of Hollow' just scraped it due to the feel-good factor of the catchy tracks on it. 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now' is my favourite Smiths song, so if I could only have one of their albums 'H.o.H' would be the chosen one.


New Alhambra - Elvis Depressedly
This was one of the first albums I reviewed for NE:MM. Elvis Depressedly have quite a niche sound and I wanted to do the piece justice, so I listened to the album till  could sing along to it backwards. It was a labour of love.


The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Big beefy riffs are my musical weakness. And the Roses never disappoint.
When I was in year 10, a lad called Dean Hook asked to sit next to me because: "I'll not get distracted by her. She's too much of a swot". Needless to say, I wasn't very popular in high school. However, we grew fond of each other's company after he jokingly sang 'Sally Cinnamon' to me. We liked a lot of the same bands, to this day I'm still unsure about who was more surprised by that! And after debating what was the best Oasis song, Dean informed the class that I'm "Actually alreet ya knaa".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

Middlesbrough Pub Bans Female Fronted Bands

Middlesbrough pub and rock music venue; Doctor Brown's ; has caused outrage after implementing a ban on female fronted bands, stating their customers believe that women can't sing rock music well. The story gained national attention after The Northern Echo published a damning article on the situation.  Consequently, residents and musicians have started to boycott the venue. I contacted Doctor Brown's to hear their side of the story. Had the situation been blown out of proportion on social media, or were outdated, sexist attitudes being called out? Paula Rees, the pub's manager cited that the Northern Echo had lied and "twisted her words" and she was eager to talk to me to "set the record straight". She said that was more than happy to talk, asking me to ring up later when the pub was a little quieter. Rees also confessed that she wasn't a "big rock fan" and was just going with what her customers wanted, stating that they had

Poison - Mouses Track review

After relentless gigging, Billingham's lo-fi garage-punk duo Mouses are set to release their debut single: 'Poison'. If you haven't heard Mouses  before (firstly, where have you been for the past two years?), imagine the love child of  The Thermals, Dinosaur Jr  and Wheatus  on a generous kick of acid. The track opens by submerging you into a whirlpool of distorted guitar and fuzzy vocals, invigorating the track with a relentless energy. Despite the initially aggressive tone of the track, the infectiously catchy chorus provides it with a poppy undertone, making it incredibly upbeat and easy to dance/sing along to. I can envisage audiences belting out the lines: "I'm not breaking bones for you, I can be myself with a little bit of poison" - or at least that's what I presume Ste is singing under that heavy lo-fi disguise. If I'm perfectly honest, I'm unsure what the song is about, referencing' everything from; a 'crashing tiger