Skip to main content

New Loves

After hours of trying to think of a realistic set of Resolutions for 2016, I've decided to adopt a different approach. What's the point in criticising elements of yourself that weren't up to scratch last year when you can reflect on how much you've achieved this year?
Now as much as I would love to indulge in boring you all with sentimental spiel, the content of this colloquial post is the bands that won over my heart and iPod during 2015.


Foals - I'd always be mildly fond of Foals and really appreciated their music, but I never really classed myself as a fan per se. However, after being wowed by their latest album 'What went down', I started to listen to them more and more and my love for the band blossomed. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't listen to at least one Foal's song.  They're also a middle ground of musical tastes between myself and some of my nearest and dearest, so it is often the soundtrack to our social gatherings.

Catfish and the Bottlemen - 'The Balcony' has earned a secure place in my top ten albums, due to my slightly unhealthy fan girl antics over Van McCann and his lyrics. I'm not ashamed in the slightest as I really adore this guitar rock band's sound.

The Clash - Despite the anthems, I'd never really listened to this iconic group before. However, around November time I stopped my ignorant ways and  with some help, invested time in giving The Clash a proper listen. So much so, that I requested three DJ's over the Christmas period to play 'Rocking the Kaz Bar'.

Baby Strange - My love for this band emerged after a spontaneous night out to THINK TANK? in Newcastle to see the band play. I had given their 'most popular tracks' list on Spotify a quick listen and was fond of a few tracks such as: 'VVV' and 'California Sun'. I have inherited a general rule from a made that any gig under £15 is worth a try and I really was pleasantly surprised by Baby Strange that night. They performed very well and were so lovely on their merch table that it would be an injustice if they didn't make this list.

Slaves - I really got into this dynamic duo around April time, as I can remember listening to them in the bath after a four days Duke of Edinburgh expedition. One of my closest friends is an avid lover of punk culture and I finally obtained an ounce of music kudos when I showed him Slaves. By no means had I lost my title of "Basic Indie Bitch" but I was one step closer to earning his respect.

The Smiths - Right, before you all judge me - I have loved The Smiths for the best part of a decade. However, they became very sentimental to me in 2015. Firstly,  I became vegetarian after numerous convincing arguments from members of my philosophy class followed by listening to 'Meat is Murder'. (Who doesn't conforming to a cliché every now and again?). Additionally, seeing a Smiths tribute band led to me getting much closer to someone who is now one of my dearest friends and gig buddy.

Comment below which bands you fell in love with in 2015

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

Quirks Behind the Music - CULT LUST's Sam and Owen

For those readers who aren't familiar with you and  your sound, tell us a little about yourself and your music? We’re Cult Lust! We’re a scuzzy garage trio from  Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, we like to think we’re loud as fuck but probably not to the point where it becomes obnoxious, which is sort of a disappointment. We use a collaboration of horrible old fuzz pedals tied to ropey old vintage guitars, topped off with clean technical riffs and a heavy driving percussion force to produce a louder than life sound. Which artists have inspired both your music and your personal tastes? Owen – I started listening to Led Zeppelin when I was seven and I started playing drums because John Bonham’s drums sounded so good to me and I just wanted to be like him instantly. I grew my hair and got my first drum kit at 7 and it’s led me to where I am today. I’ve picked up a lot from other drummers because I’m self taught so there’s probably a bit of jazz influence in my drumming too . Sam

Middlesbrough Pub Bans Female Fronted Bands

Middlesbrough pub and rock music venue; Doctor Brown's ; has caused outrage after implementing a ban on female fronted bands, stating their customers believe that women can't sing rock music well. The story gained national attention after The Northern Echo published a damning article on the situation.  Consequently, residents and musicians have started to boycott the venue. I contacted Doctor Brown's to hear their side of the story. Had the situation been blown out of proportion on social media, or were outdated, sexist attitudes being called out? Paula Rees, the pub's manager cited that the Northern Echo had lied and "twisted her words" and she was eager to talk to me to "set the record straight". She said that was more than happy to talk, asking me to ring up later when the pub was a little quieter. Rees also confessed that she wasn't a "big rock fan" and was just going with what her customers wanted, stating that they had