Skip to main content

Quirks behind the music - Motion

Meet Tom, Andrew, Phil and Brad - a.k.a.: local rock group Motion. The lads and I took advantage of the sunny weather and caught up - discussing everything from Ben Howard to B.B.King to Justin Timberlake.

Describe your music with one word.
T: Shit, that's pretty genuine. Next question. One word? Ummm, music.

Where does the name Motion come from?
A: We did think of lots and lots of things.
P:  We thought about our music and wrote down words that came to mind on a bit of paper that we passed about. Then came a process of elimination and we got down to a few words and just saw which ones sounded nice enough until we got Motion.

Who are your musical heroes and influences?
F: Flea, Michael Balzary, the bassist in the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
A: John Brush, yeah yeah I got in there quick! Go on then.
P: Ben Howard, Simon Neil, the late B.B.King.
A: Pfff, not the current B.B. King Phil? Or the previous B.B. King?
B: Lads we can't be making a fucking joke about B.B.King's death!
(Somewhat nervous laughter)
P: Oh and this band called Low Roar, who do some pretty cool stuff.
B: As a drummer, probably Toni Royster Jr.
A: Whoever did the snare drums for Justin Timberlake-
T: Whoever drummed for Justin Timberlake's album -
A: Whoever tightened that snare!
T: Yeah should clearly be president.


What was the first album you bought?
T: Um, I think it was DJ Tiesto. But it was in a cluster with 'Even if it kills me', Motion City Soundtrack  and 'By the Way' and DJ Tiesto. That's what my first albums were.
A: I honestly can't remember what mine was. Maybe some sort of Guns and Roses  hits or something.
P: Um, mine was also a bundle. I got it off my sister, I think it was a 'Now 20-odd' back then. I think there was also a S Club 7, back when that show was on Disney Channel. Oh and 'Unemployment' by the Kaiser Chiefs. That was the one I got from HMV and actually bought. That I like properly bought with my own money.
 B: I don't know. It's hard to remember when I started buying albums rather than stealing my brother's! I think it might have been an Eminem. I was like eight years old. It was like a Mother's nightmare man.

Would you rather: Never go to a concert again or never listen to recorded music again?
T: I'd never go to a concert again, cause I just couldn't handle not listening to recorded music, cause I listen to it the most.
A: I don't need to say, you've answered for me.
T:  Is that the same with everyone else?
B+P: Yeah.
T: Pretty stupid fucking question really man.

What is your earliest memory of music?
T: Singing 'Row row row your boat' in Nursery.
A: Probably something my dad did in a band.
P:  So like Steely Dan?  I was on holiday in Greece and I watched the video to 'Sweet child o' mine', with Axel Rose and Slash and that's the whole reason why I picked up a guitar. It's so fucking shit now, I hate it! It was the first song I learned to play on guitar.
A: So do you now have a hatred for the guitar?
P: Aye, clearly can't stand it!
B: Think mine has to be sitting in the front room with my Mam sliding in  her CDs of like 'Now that's what I call music 8' or something. All the hits from the 80's and stuff.

What was the last gig you went to?
T: Probably my own to be honest!
A:  What about one that you didn't play at?
T:  Alright! It was probably Charlie Dancer. Charlie Dancer playing with Dalaro and us playing with Dalaro!
A: Mine was Ben Howard and he was not as good as when he was at Riverside. Like when he was there, there was a point where he had the guitar on his knees  and was proper slapping it.
P: Doesn't do that any more.
A: The best one he did was 'Wolves' cause he changed it up so much.
P: I get the impression he's a broken human being now like.
A: Yeah he's lost a lot of friends.
P: Yeah he also lost his wife and I think a child too. Anyway... My last gig was Humanism on Saturday night, which was alright. Wasn't mint but it was alright. Street Party in Soho were canny shit but I enjoyed seeing my mates in Humanism play.
B: I think mine was Charlie Dancer's too.

Name an album that summarises your personality?
A: Ahh for all of us it's gotta be Justin Timberlake like! Like as a band and that! The cheek, ah the cheek of it man.
P: Nah I reckon Tom's is 'Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic' like.
T:  Yeah probably 'Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic' and Motion City Soundtrack 'Even if it kills me'. Even to this day cause it's such a huge album.
P: I'm gonna say 'Only Revolutions' by Biffy Clyro and also 'Every Kingdom'. There's just so much variety on that album, like different moods and messages.
B: I think I could do a 50-50 blend of Justin Timberlake, 'Justified' and maybe 'Curtains' by John Frusciante for when I've got to bring it down a notch.
  
What's the best and hardest part of being in a band?
T: Dealing with everyone. They're annoying shits.
A: Putting up with these three.
P: Yeah this lot.
A: We've only said the crap parts!
P: Aye there's nowt good about it!
B: Yeah just don't get into this kinda stuff! I don't know what the hardest part is really. So much to choose from!
T: I suppose the best part is that it's a weight off your shoulders. Like knowing what you love and want to do for the rest of your life really.
A:  Yeah man, I do actually really enjoy playing  music with you guys. As much as I hate being around you.

Out of all your songs, which is your personal favourite?
T: It is probably 'Jazzy'.
A: Please answer that again man.
T:  No no. 'Jazzy' is the best song we've ever written.
A: I'd say 'Festivals'.
P:  Yeah I'd say 'Festivals' is my favourite song. I'd go a bit deeper but fuck it, yeah 'Festivals' is my favourite song.
B: Mine's probably 'Splash Avenue'.  It's hard hitting,  the gain on the guitar is right up, it gets everyone's blood pumping and everyone loves it.

What is your biggest musical achievement to date?
T: Learning to play bass guitar.
A: Playing in the triangle section in the school choir. We haven't really got any achievements as a band. I'd be lying though if I said my personal one wasn't going down to London to play in the music section for a theatre.
B: My biggest achievement is probably 'Splash Avenue'. I just love it. I just love the drums . I really just love that fucking song.

To hear the lads live, head down to ThinkTank in Newcastle on Saturday June 27th. The gig is brought to you by HeartRock Live and will also feature music from Harry Smith and band, Temple Avenue, Black Velvet and Altrostratus.

To see more amazing gigs and news from HeartRock follow/visit:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

demos or my nightmare? - CULT LUST demo review

Indie gigs have changed. Gone are the days when you danced or bopped along to the likes of Swim Deep  or Peace , indie kids want to mosh. Hence the birth of Cult Lust,  a ferocious fusion of fuzzy guitar and relentless percussion,that creates a heavy lo-fi sound. It's called skuz-pop - don't worry, I had to do google it too! Just imagine a band who's primary concern is making loud, gritty, grungy tunes. Despite only forming a few weeks ago, the band have already produced a two track demo; promoted via their active and bountiful social networking platforms. Both tracks are fairly lengthy (approx 10 mins combined), meaning the group are already a third of the way to having a live set under their belt. It's a really candid and raw recording, giving you insight into their practice sessions. This is best represented by the second track 'headf*ck' being opened by their front man saying "anyway, here's wonderwall" before exploding asking his fellow

Middlesbrough Pub Bans Female Fronted Bands

Middlesbrough pub and rock music venue; Doctor Brown's ; has caused outrage after implementing a ban on female fronted bands, stating their customers believe that women can't sing rock music well. The story gained national attention after The Northern Echo published a damning article on the situation.  Consequently, residents and musicians have started to boycott the venue. I contacted Doctor Brown's to hear their side of the story. Had the situation been blown out of proportion on social media, or were outdated, sexist attitudes being called out? Paula Rees, the pub's manager cited that the Northern Echo had lied and "twisted her words" and she was eager to talk to me to "set the record straight". She said that was more than happy to talk, asking me to ring up later when the pub was a little quieter. Rees also confessed that she wasn't a "big rock fan" and was just going with what her customers wanted, stating that they had