Skip to main content

Quirks Behind the Music - SoShe

I caught up with local R'n'B group SoShe - A.K.A.: Jamie, Dayna  and Alex before their gig with HeartRock Live at Newcastle's Dog and Parrot.


Describe your music with one word.
A: Pop
D: After-party - does that count as one? Well it's a phrase anyway!
J: Chilled.

Where does the name SoShe come from?
J: We wanted something that was two words but sounded like one and something that kinda sounded Japanese. Like Japanese sounding and just a little different. And also a word that you would say in a sentence -  so like "SoShe said this".

Who are your musical heroes and influences?
D: Beyoncé, The Weekend. I think all of our music is based off that really.
J: Yeah all those sorts of music definitely influence us but original old music that got me into music was people like Nirvana, The Police and The Lemonheads. Stuff like that. We also really like dance music, like electronic, Black Eyed Peas - that sorta stuff.
A: I like a lot of things. I like Wheezer, they'reone of my favourite bands. Prince, Zeppelin, I like classical music too. I like allsorts really!

Would you rather: Never be able to perform original music again, or never be able to listen to any music excluding your own?
D: Second one.
J: Second one, I want to be able to play our own stuff. But I suppose you could do loads with the first, like cover wise.

First album you ever bought?
A: U2, 'All that you can't leave behind', but I didn't like it very much. There was like two good songs.
J: 'Regatta de Blanc' by the Police.
D: Haven't a clue, probably S Club 7!
J:  Actually no! Can I change mine? Mine was So Solid Crew, but I was given The Police. I actually bought the So Solid Crew with my pocket money though!

Last gig you went to?
J: I can't remember, we've been dead busy with our own stuff so we've only really been to our own stuff lately. Probably The Lemonheads to be honest then. Like as in a gig that I paid and wanted to go to.
D: Probably Drake for me, that was that last big thing I went to and The Weekend.

Favourite and Hardest part of being in a band?
D: Favourite, we get to do what we wanna do full time. Hardest is that the lads are really annoying!
A: Yeah but that's the same for all of us really.
J: Nah my favourite thing is doing this all throuh the week, 9 to 5. The worst thing is the money.
D: Ah God yeah the money. I change my mind! It's really hard money wise.
J:  Yeah having to pay people to do stuff for us. We're trying to learn how to do as much as we can, so we don't have to pay out. So things like photo-shop or recording, we're doing everything ourselves now.

Out of all your songs, which is your personal favourite?
J: Mine is 'Drinking Thinking'.
D: My favourite one is 'Something about the way'.
A: I'm not sure... Maybe he new one, 'Should have called'.

Biggest musical achievement to date?
J: When Dayna met me! Just kidding. I don't know. We haven't been going for very long, so probably actually getting together and getting an album's worth of decent stuff. We've gotten rid of a lot of songs so it's good to have an albu of stuff we're actually happy with.
D: Yeah when we started off we sounded totally different. The sound and everything was totally different, we've done quite a lot in the short time space really.
J:  Yeah like performing stuff we're actually happy with, because it's really hard to please us!

  
Excluding music, what is your passion in life?
A: My girlfriend.  Ah see you guys cant do that sort of thing now! Gotta think of something!
J: Yeah mate but that sounds a bit creepy! No offense! I think mine's a bit soft but probably helping people, like just helping people out.

What is your earliest memory of music?
D: I recorded some songs when I was really little. When I was about 6 we recorded some Christmas songs. Maybe I'll release them one day, bonus track!
J: I was about six and I got to see Sting at Whitley Bay Ice Rink. He played  on his 'Soul Cages' tour. They covered the ice and everything, it wasn't 'Sting on Ice' with twist and turns or anything like that! That gig was pretty much why I do music now. Alex?
A: My dad does music too and he did the music for the Tall Ships coming in '96 I think. So I went to go see him play on the Tyne with his friends.

If you could headline any festival, which one would you choose?
All: Coachella!

Which local bands or artists have caught your attention?
D: I'm not sure, maybe Lisbon.
J: I'm not sure, we don't really listen to other local acts.
D: You can't say that man!
J: But we don't though! We're just concentrating on our own stuff at the moment!
A: Dayna had Beth McCardy on in the car the other day, like streamed from her SoundCloud.

What lies on the horizon for you?
J: We're going into the studio on Tuesday to record our first EP. We've got a few track online at the minute, but we'll be taking them down soon and then  we'll be putting a few EPs out. Volume 1,2 and 3. And lots more writing and gigs I suppose. I feel like that was such a cliché answer.

D: Yeah, I stopped listening like a minute ago!



Follow and Support the band at:


To see more amazing gigs and news from HeartRock follow/visit:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track of the Week - Sarajevo - The K's

Merseyside natives The K's kicked off 2018 by announcing that they had been signed to Republic Music Management. With a handful of sold-out headline shows already under their belt, their tongue-and-cheek indie tunes are earning them a loyal fan base and plenty of buzz. Their debut single 'Sarajevo' is an infectiously catchy and utterly charming track. The vocals are akin to a more in-tune Jamie T, giving their witty lyrics a warm ambiance.  The upbeat melody gives a nod to early 2000s indie, but the ferocious riffs and hearty bass lines give it plenty of originality.  The track has already achieved half a million streams on Spotify and it's a sure bet that there's bigger and better things on the horizon for The K's. FOLLOW SOUNDS OF AN ECCENTRIC FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM

demos or my nightmare? - CULT LUST demo review

Indie gigs have changed. Gone are the days when you danced or bopped along to the likes of Swim Deep  or Peace , indie kids want to mosh. Hence the birth of Cult Lust,  a ferocious fusion of fuzzy guitar and relentless percussion,that creates a heavy lo-fi sound. It's called skuz-pop - don't worry, I had to do google it too! Just imagine a band who's primary concern is making loud, gritty, grungy tunes. Despite only forming a few weeks ago, the band have already produced a two track demo; promoted via their active and bountiful social networking platforms. Both tracks are fairly lengthy (approx 10 mins combined), meaning the group are already a third of the way to having a live set under their belt. It's a really candid and raw recording, giving you insight into their practice sessions. This is best represented by the second track 'headf*ck' being opened by their front man saying "anyway, here's wonderwall" before exploding asking his fellow

Middlesbrough Pub Bans Female Fronted Bands

Middlesbrough pub and rock music venue; Doctor Brown's ; has caused outrage after implementing a ban on female fronted bands, stating their customers believe that women can't sing rock music well. The story gained national attention after The Northern Echo published a damning article on the situation.  Consequently, residents and musicians have started to boycott the venue. I contacted Doctor Brown's to hear their side of the story. Had the situation been blown out of proportion on social media, or were outdated, sexist attitudes being called out? Paula Rees, the pub's manager cited that the Northern Echo had lied and "twisted her words" and she was eager to talk to me to "set the record straight". She said that was more than happy to talk, asking me to ring up later when the pub was a little quieter. Rees also confessed that she wasn't a "big rock fan" and was just going with what her customers wanted, stating that they had